Welcome to Wrapped Emotions, a place to create, connect and express yourself. I'm Melody.
First, at huge thank you to Rebecca of Just a little bit of something extra creations for my blog design. I love it!
Now, why I'm here...
Recently I read an artist's writings, my apologies for not recalling who, and one of her statements resonated with me. "We live in a world where people live without their hearts and don't even miss them."
That statement was powerful to me. She was speaking to the fact that the majority of us do not take time to connect with our emotions on any creative level. She was not talking about making things for others to have and cherish. She was referring to creations meant to connect ourselves to our own emotions. She meant creations that reveal a person to themselves. I don't want to live without my heart and not miss it. I want to be fully connected with my emotions and the creativity housed within me.
So I created this blog to hold myself accountable to spend more time expressing myself creatively...connecting with my heart...creating with emotion. I want to encourage you to do the same. There is no better way to do this than working with your hands, your mind...connecting them with your heart. This blog's purpose is to encourage you and me to do just that and share it with others.
Sitting at home in a not-particularly-good mood one night, I began to play with a paper wrapper. I carefully tore it open, smoothed it flat, grabbed a pencil and began to doodle on the clean white paper of the underside. As I doodled, my mood began to improve...the tension in my shoulders lessened. A smile curved my lips. Being completely focused on the task of doodling, I had released stressed, expressed my emotions and reconnected myself. I was creating mini works of art. It was play, being a kid all over again, and it felt really good. Any artist will tell you this is how they create...with emotion. But most of us would never dare refer to ourselves as artists, and so we deprive ourselves of this gratifying channel of expression. We dare not allow ourselves to create works of art with the wild abandon of a child.
Then I began to think. Seems many of our emotions are linked to wrappers, packages, bindings...whether tangible or metaphoric. Think of the candy bars and bags of chips consumed during the depression of a broken relationship...the ice cream consumed on a day when the kids pushed every button...the three martini happy hour after the boss got in your face just one more time. Foods and drinks come with wrappers, in packages and containers (yes, that vodka comes in a container). Can you remember your emotions while in the throes of consumptions similar to those above? But not only food, any item we purchase or consume in some manner can call forth our emotions. Sometimes simply using an item causes an emotional reaction. Gifts wrapped in pretty paper invoke emotions when we see them and as we tear them open. Our emotions are enveloped by a myriad of wrappers...tangible and metaphoric. How many times have we hesitated to undertake a new venture because we were wrapped with fear? The connections and comparisons are endless.
This blog is my attempt to encourage each of you, including myself, to create...connect...express yourself. The creative ways to use wrappers, or the perception of emotional wrappers, to create and express ourselves through art is limitless. And all the better when we share our creations to encourage and inspire one another. Here is the premise...
Each week I will post a prompt. The prompt will be based on emotion(s) associated with a wrapper, real or perceived. I may post an emotion to pursue and/or instructions to use a specific art form. Some examples are paper, paint, clay, photography, and writing. Sometimes a type of wrapper may be the prompt with you expressing the emotions it brings forth, either presently or from memories. Other times the wrappers may be purely figurative, bindings we feel. The prompts and processes will be varied with the possibilities almost endless. Don't worry, you'll understand better as prompts are presented and as we play each week.
I am not talking expensive art supplies you need to go out and purchase, but rather things you will most likely find around your home or that can be purchased inexpensively. Many of you moms have simple art supplies around the house for the kids which will be great to use. If you are an artist, a crafter or if you scrapbook, you already have tons of fantastic supplies on hand. These creations are not to be high-dollar works of art, but imaginative endeavors to get those creative juices flowing, express and connect with our emotions, then share with others. An art journal is a suggested to house your completed WE projects.
Think of each project as your play time. You can spend as little or as much time as you choose working on each one. If some days you need to entertain the kids while you play, or just want to include them, give them some supplies and allow them to create along side you. But ultimately this is your time, your creation. There is no pressure...this is to be fun, relaxing. It's not as involved or complicated as it may sound. There are no right or wrong results.
Each week the prompts will be posted on Tuesday. You will have through Sunday of each week to participate. Please do not think of this as a chore, but as useful time spent recapturing a playful part of yourself...tapping into your creativity....connecting with your emotions. Everyone is creative...some of you just haven't realized it.
Oh, did I mention that you will have opportunities as guest blogger at Wrapped Emotions? Or that there will be links to your blog? I know we can inspire, encourage and support one another while having a lot of fun...laughing and maybe even crying along the way.
Until then, would you please take moment to leave your thoughts or questions in the comments?
Monday, September 3, 2007
Welcome To Wrapped Emotions
Posted by
Wil's Wheels
at
1:06 AM
Labels: art, art journal, bloggy friends, inspiration, wrapped emotions











43 comments:
Melody,
I'm here and ready to be creative! By nature, I'm a very artsy person, however with the 2 1/2 year stress of our adoptions, that creativity has all but disappeared. I recently decided to take up embroidery and am hoping it gives me a place to build a legacy of love for my family. Thanks for this site and I can't wait to begin!
d
What a wonderful place and a fabulous idea! 'I can't wait to join you in creating things. Feeling very excited about having little projects to do each week with which to unwind. you rock my dear, you rally do. :)
What a creative idea :) I'm very intrigued and can hardly wait to play!
Congratulations! I can't wait to see how your new creation gives life and I hope to participate.
Applause, applause.
I think this is a lovely idea! I think I'd like to participate...I'll be back to learn the rules :-)
Great idea, great look! I'll be back!
I'm looking forward to this! :)
what a great idea! Looking forward to it too, and very cute blog btw! :)
what a wonderful idea, melody. :) i will be checking back for more!
Melody - This is a fabulous idea! I am so there...uh, here! Tomorrow!
Melody, how inspiring! I love creating things, but usually lack inspiration for coming up with ideas! In the last two busy years, I have let my creative side suffer, so I am very excited to participate!
Awesome! I love creative things!
What a great idea! I'm not a very creative person, so it sounds like I need this!
How fun Melody - I LOVE LOVE the design too, it's fun and "artsy" just like you! :) I cant wait to learn more!
Thank you! I am thrilled and tossing candy to each of you for commenting with your feedback. You are such inspiring readers.
Melody, you have done it again - found an amazing, insiring, creative idea to share with us. Can't wait to see the first "assignment" tomorrow!
What a great idea for a blog and such a wonderful story behind it's beginning. I am looking forward to taking part. Thanks for the chance to let loose our emotions.
Kim @ TheBitterBall
So interested to see what comes next to feed our creative selves!
Anna
Oh I LOVE your new blog! I love to do things like that, but I really do seem to need some sort of "reason" to motivate me... like reading a blog containing assignments or "prompts!" This is very cool!
*nervous giggle* Art projects, focus on emotions, sharing emotions...**deep breath** Sure, I can do this!
I'm looking forward to coming here tomorrow and finding out our first wrapper! What a wonderful idea!
Blessings to the fam,
De
I love that you all like the idea. :)
Thanks for dropping by and commenting.
Fabulous idea Melody! I can't wait to play!
Melody- What an awesome idea! I look forward to playing along! :)
I knit, crochet, scrapbook, take photos and am always looking for more!! This sounds fun! Can't wait to start...
great idea. i love the quote at the beginning..."We live in a world where people live without their hearts and don't even miss them." so powerful.
i look forward to following this idea and being inspired!
Hi Melody -
Love the great look here and what a great idea! I look forward to popping in whenever the sanity level around my place allows : )
What a grand idea Melody. Count me in. I bought myself a spiral sktech book a few weeks back and started doing some collage work for fun...just for me...something to get in touch with my creativity on another level. One that I have missed due to the business of everyday life. I'm excited to see how the wrapper unfolds and am happy to have a place like this to hold me accountable and encourage me. Yay!
Kudos girl!
Melody, count me in and I have been really needing this. I was very artistic back in high school and was good but had folks tell me that I wouldn't be able to make money! As I look back, I wish one person would of told me to go for it. I look forward to the prompts and am blessed to have you in this world helping people find the 'artists' in them. Marissa H. Clubmom member
Hi Melody - I love this idea! I'm not sure when I'll be able to participate, but I'm adding you to my reader, and will check back in. :)
This sounds like a wonderful idea. I took a beading class once that had a very similar theme. A small class of 5 women got together and we learned some necklace beading rudimentary techniques then were instructed to select beads representative to ourselves. High points, low points, emotional points, anything we wanted to string together resulting in a very meaningful necklace. Once our masterpieces sat in front of us we had a meditative session and then discussed why chose the beads we did. I treasure that necklace.
Aha! I seem to remember making that my New Year's resolution - I wonder what happened inbetween then and now?
Cheers
What a wonderful idea! I am excited to see all the creations that are produced from this post. Thanks for the inspiration :)
Fantastic! I was just out visiting Nesting Momma and I read her post about her unwrapped emotions and I just had to zip over here and check this out. This is exactly what I need right now...thanks for encouraging all of us to "take back our hearts"! This will be good....
Hi~Melody,
I'm Stacey,I visit micpro, at In the life of a child-- and I was browsing thru her blog list --
I found you, very intresting, I enjoy sewing and now blogging, this might be another thing to improve my list of good things about me!
http://frogparenting.blogspot.com
Wow! I just found you, like w/in the hour! LOVE your thoughts & especially the inspirational quote you are founding this effort on. Believe it or not...I started my blog just a couple of weeks after you, and I am taking it slow. Being very deliberate & my purpose is much like yours. Just that I am going about it in a different fashion, but, same goal for the most part.
I haven't even read the rest of your blog yet, I was just so moved by this opening that I had to respond. Gotta go check out the rest! :)
God bless & don't be weary in well doing!
Maria
What a great idea! I found you through My Memories... I'll be checking back!
I'm not creative or artistic at all, so this will be a challenge, but I'm up for it!
You know what is just so silly? I have been threatening myself with trying this out since you began it! I have been too scared! I don't know what of....that I wouldn't have the time? That I wouldn't be good enough? Ridiculous! (This, mind you, coming from a gal who preferred to look at her perfectly sharpened box of Crayola crayons rather than color with them!)
This (might) be my week. :) Thank you!
I love this, Melody!
I'm going to give it a shot, as well as link it to my blog.
Thanks,
Pinky
This is a great service. Thanks for caring and for taking the time to do this.
I need to write more, get something good for my critique group to read.
Hiiiiii....
I'd love to join ur "expressive people" list. Love the idea, very creative...
This is absolutely fabulous. What a beautiful idea, and your page is so gorgeous!!
I would love to join in your 'mission'!!!
I'm going to put your button on my page and if I can steal a moment, I'm going to participate in Lucubration!! Love this.
Many blessings to you and yours.
Awesome idea. I'm here to support you and join in the creativity.
I just found your blog and I am excited to participate!
What a Great Idea!
Post a Comment